Monday, November 21, 2011

24 Days of Kindness


I would like to say that I am so incredibly thoughtful that I made this idea up myself; but alas I got this idea from Pinterest. You know...someone blogged about this, then someone did it too, then someone pinned it, then I ended up pinning it and so on and so on. I've adapted it by creating it for the Christmas season and here it is....

24 Days of Kindness

Christmas is first off about Christ. The second part is about being grateful & giving to others without the requirement of receiving anything in return. Yes, I know that the majority of us always receive something in return but would you have the same mindset about gift giving if you weren't receiving anything back?  The gift giving part of Christmas is to me inspired by the wisemen who gifted the infant Christ who they had never met, who couldn't give gifts in return, & who had yet to do anything for them.

So why can't we do that? From Dec. 1st to Dec. 24, I challenge you to do something nice for someone you don't know everyday. (If you would like to, you can also do kind things for those you know.)  

I'm posting this early so you have time to think about some of the things you could do. Here is a quick basic list (some of which I plan on doing myself)
  • Pay for the person in the fast food or coffee shop line behind you
  • Give a store giftcard to a random person (Walmart, Target, grocery)
  • Donate to a food bank or homeless shelter
  • Buy breakfast for a co-worker
  • Leave a generous tip for your waiter/waitress 
  • Bring Christmas cards or poinsettias to a patient @ a nursing home
Or other non-monetary tasks...

  • bake cookies/goodies for your local police/fire deparment to show your thanks & support
  • donate books you no longer read to the library
  • put baked good on your neighbors doors
  • be a polite driver for a day
  • let someone in line in front of you
  • babysitting for a couple who doesn't get to go out much
  • helping someone who needs it with home/yard work
Really, just let it flow. Plan some. Make some spontaneous. Either way, do it with the spirit of giving & love. Leave handwritten notes explaining this was a random act of kindness. Encourage those who can to pay it forward.

I'll post weekly on my 24 Days of Kindness. I encourage you to share this with others & participate. Don't just read this & think "mmm, that's a really nice thing." DO IT. 

The one who blesses others is abundantly blessed; those who help others are helped. 
Proverbs 11:25  

6 comments:

  1. Jessica, I shared on FB, but I want to thank you again for sharing such a great idea so that the rest of us can have opportunities to be blessed as well!!! You are a very special young lady and it is so refreshing and such a blessing to see a person your age so dedicated to God, family, & friends. What a blessing to have you as a friend and a neighbor!!! I love y'all!!! Judi

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fabulous idea! Love, love, love it...I am going to take you up on this challenge and see what I can do!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So simple, yet so challenging. I'm IN but I need a few more ideas that do not require cooking! If I bake cookies, I eat cookies. Hmmmmmm.... patti

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Jessica! I will share on facebook. I'm up to the challenge!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it Jess....what a great way to focus on Christ and love as He loves! I am so excited to share this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been letting at least one car in front of me every morning during the hectic, early school drop off.
    I will be stepping out of my comfort zone to ring the bell for the Salvation Army THIS thursday---7:00 at Walmart, drop by with a dollar!

    ReplyDelete

Show the love.