Monday, November 7, 2011

Not So Extreme Couponing.

Have you ever watched Extreme Couponing? If you haven't, you could skip it. If you have, then you'll probably understand my post. A little part of me enjoys watching Extreme Couponing; the other part of me gets really annoyed for the stigma that Extreme Couponing places on anyone who uses coupons.

First off, let me say that couponing is a great way to save money. I really got into learning couponing to save money earlier this year and I really enjoy it. It's kind of like a game sometimes. Keep in mind that I'm no couponing pro but I'm not too shabby either. Yes, a have a mini stockpile of the basics (toothbrushes, toothpaste, body soap, handwashes, dish soap, detergent, etc.) but I don't have storage racks with enough to last me until the Lord comes back. By the way, does anyone else think we're going to see a new show soon that is a combo of Extreme Couponing & Hoarding: Buried Alive? (As a side note, I do give kudos to the couponers who buy large quantities but instead of keeping it all choose to donate a lot of it to those in need.)

Anyways, I thought I would do a blog post on what I consider a successful couponing trip that A: doesn't clear to shelves for other couponers B: doesn't make me look like a crazy hoarder and C: saved me about 40% of the money I would have usually spent.


It doesn't look like a lot but I'll give you a general breakdown: (Note: Target accepts a manufacturer & a Target coupon which is why you'll notice I used two coupons on most transactions)

Transaction #1
Glade Holiday Scented Oil Candle Holder $2.50 sale minus a $1.00 off coupon $1.50
(2) Glade Holiday Scented Oil Candles $2.50 sale ea. minus a $1.00 off 2 coupon $4.00
Glade Scented Holiday Jar Candles $2.50 sale ea. minus a $1.00 off 2 coupon $4.00
Plus I recieved a $5 Target giftcard for buying 5 since there was a promo going on.
My outofpocket total was $9.50 AND I got the $5 giftcard which makes each item just under $1.

Not bad for a yummy smelling Christmas house, eh? :)

Transaction #2:
Huggies Little Movers Diapers $9.49 minus $3 off coupon & $2 off coupon $4.49
Method AntiBac Kitchen Cleaner $2.99 sale minus $1 off coupon $1.99
Method Lil Bowl Blue Toliet Cleaner  $3.99 minus $1 off coupon $2.99
I LOVE Method products. Environmentally friendly, nontoxic
(2) Bounce Dryer Bars 2/$8 minus 2 $1.00 off coupons & 2 $.50 coupons $5.00
I LOVE the dryer bars, too!
Downy Unstoppables $6.99 minus $2 off coupon & $1.00 off coupon $3.99
Yes, I love the Unstoppables even more. My clothes have never smelled so good.
Merona Clearance Tshirt $6.48 minus $3.00 coupon $3.48 (basic black wardrobe staple)
Reach Toothbrushes 2 pk plus bonus toothbrush clearanced for $4.24 minus $.50 off coupon and $1 off  coupon $2.74 
Reach Kid's Toothbrush 2pk  $3.24 minus $.50 off coupon & $1.00 off coupon $1.74
Garnier Fructis Shampoo  $2.84 minus $1.00 off coupon $1.84
Garnier Fructis Conditioner $2.84 minus $1.00 coupon $1.84
(2) Bounty Paper Towels Giant Roll 8 pks sale $10.49 minus 4 $1.00 off coupons $16.98
Biotrue Contact Solution 2oz sale $2.93 minus $2.00 off coupon $.93
(2) Market Pantry Juices $2.64  ea. minus  $1.00 off 2 coupon $4.28 
(2) Market Pantry Fruit Snacks $1.70 ea. minus $1.00 off 2 coupon $2.40
(2) Scrubbing Bubbles Toliet Gel 6pk $3.99 ea. minus $1.00 off 2 coupon $2.00 off 2 $4.98
Market Pantry Pasta (Lasagna, Egg Noodles, Spagetti) $1.00 off 3 coupon $3.30
Total $62.97 minus $5 giftcard from previous transaction 
My out of pocket total $57.97
 
For it all, the original cost would have been $108.47 but I ended up paying $67.47 which is right about 40% savings on that trip. (If I have done my math right...math has always been my worst subject.) A 40% savings on general everyday use household items = excellent in my book. No, it wasn't free & no, the store didn't end up giving me money but I'm just as happy with it.

So if you watch Extreme Couponing and you think that couponing for you is a waste of time because you can't spend 12 hours in a store, you don't have time to get a 234 newspapers, and you don't need 147 boxes of Tictacs; then I hope that this post has reassured you.

:)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Show the love.