Thursday, February 9, 2012

Keychain Pendant

"Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not quickly broken." Ecclesiastes 4:12

I love this verse. It just speaks to me as a perfect verse for Noah & I. To me, a marriage centered around God is hard, if not impossible, to break. Our marriage has had it's struggles but we have emerged even more whole & with a wonderful relationship. I've been really wanting to make something for him using this verse & I decided to create a key chain for him for Valentine's Day. It's the least girly way I could think of. ;)


Supplies:
  • beveled pendant from Michaels
  • Mod Podge Dimensional Magic
  • Mod Podge
  • scrap book paper (I used a cream linen)


First, I trial & error printed the verse in different fonts & sizes. Once I found a font that fit right into the pendant, I printed onto the card stock & cut it out. (I wanted a Cricut machine about this time...)



Next, I brushed a thin layer of Mod Podge onto the bottom to help with adhesion & applied the cardstock to the inside.



I then brushed a little Modge Podge on top (let it dry) and fill in the rest of the pendant with the Modge PodgeDimsensional Magic. Let dry for 24 hours.



You'll notice that I made more than 1. I made one for my niece & a keepsake pendant for Zeke (which didn't turn out so great in the end.)
I added it to a keychain I already had & braided 3 cords of hemp together to also attach.


You will likely notice that it's not perfect. Let's have a little discussion about these pendants:


A: This was the second time I made these same pendants. The first time I did not think to adhere the paper to the pendant & once the Dimensional Mod Podge was in there it leaked underneath & made nasty wet looking splotches. Fail. 



B: Bought the pendants, resized the fonts & paper (you may have noticed in the pictures at the beginning that the font isn't the same.) I did exactly as above. They were beautiful. I laid them out to dry on my table & then my sister came over a few hours later & plopped her butt up on the table. You know what happened? She sat on them...one of them actually fell off her butt into the floor which is the point that I realized she sat on them. Fortunately, for the most part, I was able to repair Noah's. 
Natalee's necklace didn't have as much luck. It ended up with bubbles & a huge wet patch. You know what though? She 4 so loved it anyways. :) 

I've also learned a few things about making these dimensional pendants...like don't let your sister sit on them.

2 comments:

  1. I love the pendant! I think I might make some for gifts. I am a new follower. Love your photography work! Come visit me over at Willow Creek!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So pretty and shabby-chic :) Love this!

    ReplyDelete

Show the love.