Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Family plaque.

I was in the mood to complete a mini craft this weekend. I wanted something quick, easy, & with a happy end result so I ended up with this:



I didn't do a step by step picture for a tutorial but it's pretty simple.
  • I wrote out the lettering in Microsoft Word until it looked like I wanted it to & printed it.
  • I colored the back of the paper with pencil, laid it on top of the board, and used the pencil to trace the words. This left a very light stencil I could work with.
  • I used a black art marker to trace/fill the areas. (Unfortunately, the lettering didn't come out quite like I had hoped. Too thick in some areas, slightly uneven in others)
  • I sanded over top of the board & then applied some leftover glaze I had at home to give it a weathered look.

Board: $5
Art marker: $3 (could still be used for a variety of purposes as well)
Glaze: free leftovers

Is it perfect? No. Do I like it? Yes. Will I probably do it over and be a little more precise? Yes. ;) But for a 20-30 minute project that costs less than $10, I am pleased. It provides a little temporary hominess to our front porch.

(Linking up to At Home With K's Terrific Under Ten Tuesday)

1 comment:

  1. That is really cute! I'm going to have to try that.

    ReplyDelete

Show the love.