Tuesday, April 24, 2012

"Good" Mothering.

Ok, I'm going to vent a little because this is my blog and I can vent if I want to. (Ha.Ha.)

I have a slight problem with this sign I see on Pinterest. (And if you have repinned/Facebooked aforementioned sign, then please don't take offense. This is in no way directed towards you. It's not a "mommy war". It's a faceless rant.)

Source: Pinterest
I hate my floors sticky, I hate my kitchen messy, I especially hate it when I have dishes in the sink, and I hate piles of laundry. (Ok, so my oven is dirty.) So does this imply that I'm a "bad mom"? Is it really so bad that on the average night I come home from work, make dinner (which sometimes involves a microwave & frozen nuggets) & then let Zeke watch tv *gasp* for about 30-45 minutes while I clean up the dinner mess and pick up a few things? The kid loves Blue Clues & Team UmiZoomi, who am I to deny him that pleasure?

Here's how I see it: When my house is a mess, I'm unhappy. A clean house = a happy momma. A happy momma = a happy world. So maybe I don't put aside chores and such to get in the floor & play with him on a regular basis in the evenings but I am able to spend my days off just spending time with him instead of worrying about the house I ignored all week. It works for us. We're both happy. My husband is happy when we're happy. Secretly, I know my family is happy that the house is clean. We go for walks some evenings, we read books, we snuggle, we say our prayers, we sing Twinkle Twinkle at bedtime.

See, it's not even really the sign that irks me. It's the concept behind it. I always get a little twinge of guilt when I see other mom's posting this. Why? I don't know. Why should I feel faulted for balancing my life in the best way I can and caring for my family the best way I know how? It seems like there is some underlying constant "Mommy war" between us mothers. It's like we all want to be the "ultimate mom" but we all think there is only one way to get there. There shouldn't be arguing over whether a stay at home mom, a work from home mom, or a mom who works out of the home has it the roughest or has the happiest kids. I mean, I shouldn't get dirty looks from other mother's when Zeke throws a public temper tantrum. Actually, I better just stop there before this rant is screen pages long.


Point being: If your your children are cared for, happy, and know you love them regardless of the method - pat yourself on the back, have a glass of wine, read a book, play with your kids, do whatever it is to reassure yourself that you are a good mother. 

Now to relieve tension: a cute picture of Zeke to make you smile..


3 comments:

  1. Love that sign! SO true :)

    New follower from the blissfully domestic blog hop. Would love a follow back if you like my site too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a new follower from Blissful and Domestic as well! Feel free to follow me back at www.iheartpears.blogspot.com as well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The one that really get me is, "The bigger the bow, the better the mommy." Kills me every time. I'm not categorically against big bows, but that's just the shallowest thing I've ever seen. It makes me think of those crazy pageant mama's on tv.

    ReplyDelete

Show the love.