Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Pallet Herb Garden

(see updated post here)

Pinterest....yes, Pinterest. I hate to be all "bandwagon" here but geez, could there ever be a more nifty website?

Anyway, I've seen a few "pallet gardening" ideas on there and since I have a leftover pallet (or three) from having our roof redone, I thought I'd give it a try.


Yea, It's not quite as cutesy as the ones on Pinterest and the few herbs I do have in there are rescue experiments from the TLC rack at work. I'm going to get some more & hopefully after another month of nice weather, they will be big & full.

I'm not sure how much of a tutorial I can give...I had been planning it for a few weeks but really I spent 45 minutes of precious free time on Saturday getting it done because my herbs were going to die if I left them to wither in their pots any longer.

Basically, I:
  • Dragged it into my yard and used some paver stone I had lying around to raise on end up. (It's on a slight slope)
  • Used some more of the paver stones I had laying around to fill the gaps in the sides to help prevent the soil from spilling out
  •  Mixed a 50 lb. bag of composted cow manure & two 40 lb bags of topsoil (also a hoot to drag across the yard) onto a tarp & then transferred via shovel to the pallet. I think I will add a couple inches of pine bark humus/soil conditioner to the top.
  • Planted my sad little plants with love & watered them in.
I'll give it awhile & post a picture once everything starts filling out nicely. It may not be the prettiest but it's functional and functional makes me happy, too.

Tell me, do you have any herbs you suggest for cooking, etc?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Show the love.