Tuesday, November 27, 2012

23 Days of Kindness

It's that time of year again! CHRISTMAS! I love, love, love, love Christmas. Love it.

You know what else it's time for?

23 Days of Kindness

Last year I was inspired to do 24 Days of Kindness from Dec. 1-Dec. 24 after finding myself stresesed out every December over presents & seeing that over the years Christmas has turned into a giant commercialized, selfish, & pride centered holiday. I can only see your face now....your all like WHAT?! Please, stop me where I'm wrong:

 We want the best toys/newest electronics/cutest clothes/etc. We fret about what to get and what we will get. We even trample people the day after Thanksgiving to get it. (I secretly like Black Friday. Just for the shopping & deals - I don't like the cranky attitudes.) We are too prideful to admit that we cannot afford to keep up with everything & everyone so we go into debt to buy Christmas presents
Am I right or am I wrong?
(Please note: Before I offend someone, I don't mean everyone of  you do this. I am referring to society in general.)

For me, I want Christmas to truly be about what I feel is important. God sent his Son to be born among us, to live among us, and to ultimately give us the greatest sacrifice we will ever receive that we could never repay. It could have never started without the birth of Christ.I also want to be truly grateful & give to others without the requirement of receiving anything in return. I know that the majority of us always receive something in return but would you have the same mindset about gift giving if you weren't receiving anything back? The gift giving part of Christmas is to me inspired by the wisemen who gifted the infant Christ who they had never met, who couldn't give gifts in return, & who had yet to do anything for them.

So why can't we do that? From Dec. 1st to Dec. 23, I challenge you to do something nice for someone you don't know everyday. (If you would like to, you can also do kind things for those you know.)  

I'm posting this early so you have time to think about some of the things you could do. Here is a quick basic list:
  • Pay for the person in the fast food or coffee shop line behind you
  • Give a store giftcard to a random person (Walmart, Target, grocery)
  • Donate to a food bank or homeless shelter
  • Buy breakfast for a co-worker
  • Leave a generous tip for your waiter/waitress 
  • Bring Christmas cards or poinsettias to a patient @ a nursing home
  • bake cookies/goodies for your local police/fire deparment to show your thanks & support
  • put baked good on your neighbors doors 
Or other non-monetary tasks...
  • donate books you no longer read to the library
  • be a polite driver for a day
  • let someone in line in front of you
  • babysit for a couple who doesn't get to go out much
  • helping someone who needs it with home/yard work
  • print coupons for good deals/toys and hand them to someone in a store or leave them with the item
Really, just let it flow. Plan some. Make some spontaneous. Either way, do it with the spirit of giving & love. Leave handwritten notes explaining this was a random act of kindness. Encourage those who can to pay it forward.If you can't do all the days, don't fret - do what you can.

I encourage you to share this with others & participate. Don't just read this & think "mmm, that's a really nice thing. I'm glad people will do that." YOU DO IT. If you have kids, get them involved - make it a family effort.


The one who blesses others is abundantly blessed; those who help others are helped. 
Proverbs 11:25  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Show the love.