The good news is I have a pretty easy, cheap, & simple solution for hanging stockings for those of us who don't have a mantle.
- Wooden Plaques from Michaels/Hobby Lobby. I used 4x4" and I think they were 59 cents each. I got 4 plaques & had a 25% off coupon so I paid less than $2 for all 4.
- Small letters. I got some red glittery ones at Michael's on clearance for 79 cents each. You could get plain wood ones & decorate/paint them as you wanted, too.
- Scrapbook paper. I got 2 sheets for $1 just in case I messed up when cutting (which I did.)
- Craft paint & a brush (I already had both on hand so that didn't cost me anything but both items are relatively inexpensive.)
- First, paint the edges of the wooden plaques.
- Once the paint has dried, use Mod Podge to glue the scrapbook paper onto the plaque
- Next, use scissors or a a razor knife to trim the scrapbook paper. Try not to get frustrated when you cut the paper crooked. You should probably try not to say words that your child will overhear & repeat; especially naughty ones.
- Coat the scrapbook paper with another layer of Mod Podge
- Forget to take more pictures
- Use Mod Podge again (or Super Glue) to attach the letter to each plaque
- Drive a small nail into the corner
Total cost for plaques: around $6 (the entire thing was around $20 with the stockings. I used mini stockings that were on sale at Target instead of regular sized ones. I have some cheapy ones that I actually stuff.)
It makes my living room feel a little more Christmasy now. Time to put the tree up this weekend!